View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pain after having teeth pulled

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here in the dentistry forum (regular member on the RSD forum).

On Monday I had 4 teeth pulled, two on the lower left side, one on the lower right, and one on the upper left. The dentist told me to take 2 Tylenol and 2 Advil every 4 hours for pain. How long is the pain typically this bad? I'm sure it's normal to still be hurting but at what point should I become concerned. I thought by now I could at least cut back on the pills (I don't take any pain meds for my RSD so my tolerance is pretty high for pain generally). But I find that at the 4 hour mark my mouth (the left side mostly) is just pure agony and I HAVE to take something for it...and even then it sometimes takes a while for the relief to kick in.

I really don't like taking so much medicine...been there done that with the RSD and it concerns me. I don't think a week will kill me or anything but I guess I just want to make sure this is normal for having teeth pulled. When I had my 4 impacted wisdom teeth out (years ago...when I was a teenager) I was feeling normal about 2 days later. I'm guessing it's worse because the two on my lower left side where it hurts the most were side by side plus the one on the top over there too. The right side really isn't bothering me at all...but that left side is just a killer.

Thanks for any advice or assurances about this. I'm not scheduled to go back to the dentist until Feb 21st to follow up on the work they did Monday...but if I need to call sooner than that then I will.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote