View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 03:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seishin View Post
An issue I've encountered frequently is speaking with doctors who realize MG causes muscle fatigue but who lack the training to conduct tests correctly or order accurate tests for an assessment. Given the proclivity for conducting pulmonary & swallow tests without the MG patient in mind (i.e. not enhancing muscle duress to stimulate fatigue to manifest the muscle failure) it's recommended that suspected seronegative MG patients have tests such as arterial blood gas or walking oximetry. With regard to muscle testing for fatigability, overwhelmingly, doctors check overall muscle strength. I'm of average strength so I usually pass. Rarely, doctors will conduct what I call the 'Blue Ball Muscle Fatigability Test'. That's where muscles are stimulated to set the fatigue into motion but not stimulated long enough to have the fatigue effect witnessed during the five-minute consult with the doctor. As is typical with blue ball testing in my case, weakness & achy pain kick in about 30-minutes after the 'fatigability test' is concluded. The true effect of blue ball testing is felt 1-2 days after tests have been conducted. In this go-around, I did the abbreviated muscle test (lasting 5-minutes rather than 30-minutes (SEE BELOW)) & one lap walking stairs slowly on Jan 30. I began feeling the delayed fatiguing effect right around the time of discharge Jan 31 in the a.m when my limbs became sandbag heavy and oxygen needed to be increased to 4 liters for relief.

She was exceptional as a nurse and as a person.
[Seishin]
Hi Seishin,

You spent a lot of time on this. Don´t think I could have written such a good letter

If the letter is to the great 3rd year neuro then I would have started with a few sentences about why you are writing to him etc

I would have just written ´She was an exceptional nurse´

The above paragraph I can SO relate to. And in addition in my case they spent time poking and prodding and trying to fatigue the wrong muscles! (I never had ptosis facial involvement at time of exam)
I got one single deep knee bend which was on my good day - had it been a week earlier I wouldn´t have been able to get up at all.

I am today finally feeling some effects from cycle test at pulmonologists on Thursday 2 days ago
(but in my case, now, post exertional malaise is no longer strong enough to impact my life in a negative way)

Good Luck - great letter to have in your own journal as well.

Anacrusis

PS...SO glad you are doing better
Anacrusis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
seishin (02-02-2013)