Thread: Swollen Gums
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Louise,

I would recommend to see an oral surgeon and have a panoramic x-ray done. This x-ray shows the jawline in much more detail. It could be an anomaly that is not being picked up on a small periapical x-ray.

Let us know the outcome of that. Try not to worry... we're hear to help as much as we can.

Bryanna
Hi Bryanna

I have already had this done around 2 weeks ago and have seen an oral surgeon at our local hospital.

She examined the left jawline area and advised there was nothing she could find either.

She sent me away with some conservative management exercises to do and a possible diagnosis of atypical facial pain or atypical odontalgia!!

The X-Ray apparently shows nothing untoward so I am getting some reassurance from that, but what has happened is the pain has gotten worse since I saw her and the swelling has got worse too.

The x-ray that was taken last week wasn't panoramic just a normal dental x-ray so do you think I should ask for a further panaoramic one to be done now the pain has gotten worse?

I was thinking of asking for an MRI scan to see if it could pick up anything?

I really cannot see how there is nothng wrong with all the pain and swelling I have. The dentist I saw last week also works as an oral surgeon so I am guessing he knows what he is talking about, but he wasn't certain whether the nerve had died or is dying in my tooth.

Could the tests that dentists perform still not pick up a dying nerve or would they definitely pick it up?

My right molar exhibited no signs of a dying nerve after all the relevant tests, but yet when finally my previous dentist opened the tooth up she found the nerve was very inflamed! I am puzzled as to why this could be as surely these tests are reliable?

Therefore, I am guessing this could be the reason for the swelling and lump in my gums and pain in my molar as it has happened before.

I have been doing the exercises they have given me to do religiously every day at any given moment I remember but still have no relief..this makes me feel that it isnt my TMJ problem that is causing the swelling and pain.

I wonder if your thoughts are the same?

Regards

Louise
redhen75 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote