Thread: today..
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Angry Brain injury cycle crash

I had a cycle crash 04/17/2010 Suffered a TBI and have been trying to recover ever since! I suffer extreme temerature sensitivity to my arms and hands, I have had bouts with PBA which makes you look like a complete emotional crash in public. ( uncontrolled crying and instant switch to uncontrolled laughter and then back and forth for no reason.) Its been almost 3 years now and intitially my neurologist tried to get me to apply for permanent disability. I am 3 years out from retirement 30 yrs. so I refused to apply and forced him to let me return to work on lite duty! In retrospect I wish I had taken his advice because I cannot function without large amounts of medication for the injuries which makes it unsafe for me to do my job. I would advise you guys to listen carefully to your health care professionals and take their advice to heart even if its not what you want to hear! I have been through so many drugs such a phentinol patches, oxycodone, oxycontin, Xannax, Valium, Lyrica etc., I am at wits end as to what to do to be able to complete my employment and retire asap. I no longer own a bike despite getting back on it breifly just to prove to myself I was unafraid to get back on the horse. However, riding the last few times I noticed no matter how careful I was there was always some dumb aZZ either on a cell phone or just not paying attention that almost wrecked me again! I decided its just too dangerous to be on a bike in traffic anymore with distracted drivers texting, talking, or playing games on a damned phone! I have been through severe depression, suicidal at times. Burning hands and arms as if I had fibromialga, loss of self, my sleep patterns is 2-3 hours a night no matter what meds I take to sleep, I feel like I am in HELL and am being punished for some misdeed I may have done in the past. I ask God daily WHY didnt he take me the day of the wreck rather than to have to go through so much pain and adversity. I dunno about you but its a long hard road to recovery and I'm no where near there yet after 3 years! I wish you both better luck than I am having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecrash View Post
Hi Peter,
My math may be off but you are saying you are almost 4 months since your accident and I'm 5 1/2 months since mine. Sorry for the nit picking!

I have never had 3 or 4 good days in a row. I think I had 2 once tops. More like 3 or 4 good hours! My headaches are the first thing improving. They are not as strong. I have had to take less medication for them. I'm sure that's a good, healing sign.

I have had the ringing in my ears since the accident. I'm not exactly sure when I first noticed it though. I was pretty out of it the first couple months.

My biggest complaint is the dizziness and blurred vision because I cannot walk without getting worse. Makes it hard to do anything. Once I can get that figured out (ENT or neuro-ophthalmologist) then I will begin to feel on the road to recovery.

I am hoping for a complete recovery but I might have to settle for accepting a new normal and moving forward. Only time will tell. I'm not worrying about it now because worrying will not help and the brain is trying to heal itself I just have to let it and wait!

I am certainly looking forward to a return to work and also to running, although from what I've read here running may be the hardest one to get back to. I do not think I will be able to do either for at least another 4-6 months judging by my recovery to date and advise from my neuro psych.

You are a lot younger than me though and I'm sure you will have far better success! I hope today is another good day for you. I'm not so lucky today but will be taking it easy.

CC
slammansam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote