View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MP from Core Decompression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallycat86 View Post
I am 27 years old female and have had left outer thigh pain for about 8 years now. Recently it has been much worse. The pain sensations vary between burning, tingling, stabbing, electric shock and crawling. It seems to be worse at night when I am laying down or after standing for long periods. It even wakes me up at night.
I recently sought help from a neurologist who ordered multiple tests including X-ray, EMG, MRI (of lower spine), blood work and physical therapy.

After extensive bills and pain, everything has come back normal. The doctor who did the EMG said that I have Meralgia Paresthetica, which is what I suspected. I have no risk factors, however, I am quite thin so it is possible that nerve compression from my clothing is causing it. But, I get no relief from wearing loose clothing. It appears to have a mysterious cause!
I prefer not to take medication unless absolutely necessary. So I'm wondering what are some other options for managing or eliminating pain? What could be the cause of meralgia paresthetica symptoms?
How do others "deal with" the constant pain and will it ever go away?
Thanks for any help,
Christian
This is my first post so, I hope I'm doing it correctly. I was diagnosed with MP about a year ago after having a core decompression surgery to my right hip. The pain you described is exactly what I experienced. I tried neurontin for months and a nerve block with no success.The surgery I had to try and save my hip did not work and in October 2012 I had a total hip replacement. Two weeks after the surgery the MP came on strong. I started tried Lidoderm patches, but it seems like I might not have given it enough time. I'm currently taking Lyrica for the nerve pain and it seems to be helping some. I was concerned about the side effects, but they seem to be minimal and I haven't had anything bad happen. I will be at full strength at the end of next week. My leg feels somewhat numb and sort of dead on the outer thigh. I tried acupuncture for about 6 weeks with no help. Looking to see if anyone has had any other successful treatment. Both the patches and medication are very expensive. I have RX insurance, but have to pay the max co-pay which is very high. Thanks.

Dobeck
Dobeck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote