Thread: Why?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Mr. Everett ?? Puh-leze! :-)

Just kidding, but I do type older than I really am.

Let me explain a little more. Our bodies gather up certain raw materials and use them to make dopamine, which is then stored in tiny containers called vesicles until needed. The amount that can be made and how fast is limited by the supply of the various raw materials available. These can be things like enzymes and cofactors and mitochondrial output of the energy needed, just for an example. When your body begins to make these substances it begins to use up the materials at individual speeds. Eventually one of those materials will run out and things will grind to a halt. The substance that runs out first and triggers the shutdown is called "the rate limiting factor."

Now, consider the neurotransmitter "norepinephrine" for a moment. Norepinephrine is made much the same way as dopamine. Raw materials are gathered and norepinephrine is made. But the funny thing abut this one is that one of the things that norepinephrine is made from is dopamine!

And look at epinephrine (aka adrenaline). In a similar fashion, one of the things that epinephrine/adrenaline is made from is norepinephrine!

Now imagine this for a minute. You have just been informed by your sensory system that that guy on the bicycle is NOT going to stop. Other parts of your mind use that info and send word that you need some serious adrenaline and you need it now.

So you send the order to the adrenals and they start making adrenaline, a special hormone that is not stored but which is made fresh as needed. The raw material for that creation of adrenaline from starts pouring in to the adrenals and you note that it is mostly another hormone called "noradrenaline".

So you are mixing adrenaline as fast as you can but, then, the noradrenaline starts running low. Since you need more of that, a message goes out, "Cap'n, I don't think those entgines can handle Warp 7!" Just checking to see if everyone is still awake.

But seriously, my point is that if we have a shortage of anything then we have to prioritize and determine who gets what. And your stash of dopamine sits at the end of a chain with adrenaline at the other end.

So we have to decide on how much of our dopamine can be sent down the chain? Actually, given that the bicycle is a threat to survival, it might make sense to send it all.

My head hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna_Wood View Post
I am sure you have heard of an Adrelaline High. A person perceives danger, Adreline is released allowing your heart to beat faster, and focus is suddenly stronger to handle the danger. Have you heard of a dopamine high? You have a dopaminen high when you fall in love, or have eaten your favorite comfort food. You feel contented, you are totally relaxed. Unfortunately it also makes you feel rewarded, Dopamine is a neuron that helps us learn. It rewards us if we have completed a paper on schedule. It rewards us when we help others. We encourage over eating of bad food because we are seeking that relaxed feeling. We develope addictions to gambling, shopping, etc. because we are seeking a dopamine high. We are incapable of getting it, but it doesn't stop us from trying.

Dianna
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (02-04-2013)