View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy Fiancé TBI help!

My fiancé was in a car accident 8 years ago leaving him with TBI specifically to his frontal lobe. He was in a coma for 8 days and left with a blind eye, deafness in one ear, and a metal plate in his head. He had to learn how to do what many of us take for granted like pouring a drink, grabbing a door knob, and moving his blind eye with his good eye to keep it from doing its own thing. I have 2 kids from a previous relationship of 3 and 5. The kids love him and call him dad. He was working part time when we started dating and has recently started working 50-60 hours a week to help pay the bills and take care of our family. He has two months to decide whether or not to return to disability.

Anyway, I will try to sum this up the shortest way possible. We tend to fight a lot. Mostly it is over intimacy issues. I don't know if I am allowed to discuss this on this site but thought I'd give it a try. He has a difficult time controlling his sex drive. He becomes very moody if a day goes by without it. I too work two jobs, take care of the house, meals, everyone's laundry, and kids. He complains I am not affectionate enough. He is right, because I am completely turned off and beyond annoyed at this point. I have read that the frontal lobe is where our sex drive is located and with an injury it can go either way. No interest at all or basically an addiction. I love him and want to make it work, but have realized recently that if there isn't some form of help for this I will not do this for the rest of my life.

Also, his moods have increased since he started working so many hours. His neurologist told him that he would need to nap everyday to sorta "reboot" his brain. He used to do that everyday until his new job. I am starting to think that he needs to go back to working part time or not working at all. I blame myself and sometimes think he would be better if we weren't in his life. I think he is feeling the pressures of being a father. He is trying to prove he can do it to his friends and family and I believe it could be negatively affecting his healing, coping, and life in general. He claims he's been in love with me since childhood and loves us, but also complains endlessly about things I have previously stated.

He has many great qualities I've never found in another man. He is extremely smart and very good with finances. He bought his own house after the car accident. He is socially awkward sometimes but is learning to control that.

I know my story doesn't seem as significant as many others I have read, but I still would appreciate any advice.
Angee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote