View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Catra,

I don't understand why he did not pack the site. That may have given you instant relief. The fact is, it is going to heal slowly because of the dry socket... not the packing of it. Oh boy.......... :/

I am not a fan of irrigating an extraction site, especially a dry socket, with hydrogen peroxide. A dry socket occurs when the blood clot does not form properly or it gets disturbed and falls out. This causes the bone to become exposed, and that is what causes the pain. Peroxide is only meant for infection and it can actually prevent the growth of new tissue. So if it were me, I would not irrigate this with peroxide. I would go back to him or another oral surgeon and have that site packed with a medicated packing at least twice within the next few days.

Believe it or not, the Amoxicillin is probably just in case the area becomes infected from you irrigating :/ The Metronidazole is just in case the amox gives you an intestinal problem and the Narco is tylenol with hydrocodone which can cause you to have dry mouth... which is the last thing you need right now.

Seriously, this should have been handled differently. Can you see a different oral surgeon tomorrow to help you? The packing will make it feel much better and you may not need the narco.

I am so sorry you are going through this.... sometimes I wonder where dentists get their license to practice :/

Keep in touch with us please.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by catra121 View Post
2 hours after taking it the Norco has barely made an impact on the pain. This is very frustrating. I'm definitely light headed and feeling a touch out of it...but the PAIN...holy cow! My ear feels like it's going to explode...no joke. And perhaps the worst is that I can't even lay down as the pain is worse when I lay down vs sitting up. UGH! Today is not going well...
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote