View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It is definitely worthwhile to rule out all other possibilities when it comes to RSD, so I think it's always a good idea to exhaust all options on that front. When my RSD spread I went through a TON of testing to rule out a lot of other things. Treatment for RSD vs. another condition could be vastly different and therefore it is important to rule out those other possibilities.

That said...as I am sure you are aware...you do not need to have ALL the symptoms of RSD to HAVE RSD. I always sort of chuckle when people say they do not have a "textbook" case of RSD. There is no "textbook" case of RSD in my opinion as we are ALL different. Very rarely do I have all my RSD symptoms at the same time and some that I had in the beginning have subsided or occur very rarely while others popped up much later. One example is the RSD limb getting cold. In the beginning this was the case all the time...my left leg was MUCH colder and this was very noticeable by touch. After I had a sympathetic block done...that particular symptom pretty much went away except for bad flares. Just because that particular symptom isn't there 24/7...doesn't mean I don't have RSD.

Coloring is another thing. I don't get the dark discoloration that I have seen in many photos...it's more subtle and in my upper body tends to look more like a slight sunburn than anything else (especially when I have it on both sides and there isn't something to compare it to). It's still there and a symptom of the RSD...but it's not as drastic as it is for someone else. It's more noticeable on my feet because my right (thank goodness) does not have RSD...but you really do need to see them side by side to notice.

EVERY case of RSD is different. I sincerely HOPE you do not have it but don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you don't have ALL the symptoms of RSD or because you don't have them as noticeably as the next person that this means you do not have RSD. Work with your doctor to sort through this and get to the bottom of things. Take care.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CRPSsongbird (02-05-2013), finz (02-04-2013)