View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MS Patient-sleep seizure?

Hello all.
Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2009. I am now 25 and have been having what I refer to as 'episodes' in my sleep and none of the MS patients can relate to what I am experiencing so I am not quite sure if it is MS.

I told my PCP about these episodes, he believed them to be sleep apnea and sent me off for testing. Not sleep apnea.

These episodes seem to always happen when I am in an exacerbation with my MS.. Anyways.. this is what happens, if I may get your advice, it would be greatly appreciated...

This is how my boyfriend explains it to me as he is awake when it happens..

I fall asleep, within 15 minutes of falling asleep, I shoot straight out of bed in terror. I am disoriented, I don't ever know whats going on for a few minutes. My heart will feel like its going to explode. I will be sweating. I have even ran into the bathroom once and looked at my eyes (because everytime these episodes happen my eyes feel very bizarre) and my left pupil was tiny and the right was huge. I have this feeling like I am dying on the inside. After dealing with all of this for about 3-5 minutes I burst into a hysterical laughter (this experience is TERRIFYING and FAR FROM funny) that I cannot control. My face will even feel funny. After I have calmed down and go back to sleep the same thing will happen 2-5 more times in that night.. Taking me to the point of being scared to go back to sleep.

The following day I feel completely drained. These episodes are so much on my body that I feel like its taking years off of my life.

I have mentioned this in the MS forum and one person told me I could possibly be having seizures in my sleep.

So here I am.

If any of you have any idea of what these could be, I would appreciate it. My PCP seems to shrug it off. This, to me, is not a shrug-off-able thing.

thanks for taking the time to read this/help me out
AynaDee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote