View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cja1 View Post
Hello!

I've posted here before about the amazing progress my then girlfriend (now fiancee) has been able to achieve with an intensive graded motor imagery program and some other supplements/strategies for addressing little things that flare her up. For the past month, she has had about 2-3 days of flares that have not been extreme (about a 4 on a scale of 10) and has been pain-free other than that. She has begun working from home and does yoga, push-ups, squats and leg lifts too to build her strength.

My question is this: it seems as though she's kind of turned a corner with this, but I want to be wary and prepared if her CRPS ever spontaneously returns or she gets injured in some way. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of intervention and we have her on about 1,000 mg p/day of vitamin C based on journal articles recommending this strategy for prevention. Other than "don't get hurt", what other strategies would you have in place both to a) prevent recurrence of CRPS or b) quickly nip the process that might lead to CRPS in the bud if she gets reinjured.

Any input is much appreciated and I'm happy to explicate what we did with the GMI program if anyone is interested.

Thanks!
Hi CJA, first of all I would like to say how refreshing it is to hear of your sincere concern for you fiance's well being. Your proactive interest in her future health is admired.
I've had CRPS since 1996. Because it is known that you can get this disorder from a needle, I always ask for the senior person when getting a blood draw. I have them do the blood draw in my 'best' arm. I ask for a butterfly needle. It is a smaller, less invasive needle. The next time I go for a blood draw, I will ask them if a pediatric needle is possible and what is the difference from a butterfly needle and pediatric needls.
I told my dentist about crps and he researched it and always has me take antibiotic an hour before any procedure-even cleanings. Even the dental hygienist researched it. I also pay the extra $90 and have 'laughing gas' with any procedure. It relaxes me and I feel that is so important as a 'preventive' measure.
The vitamin C is so important and 1,000 is what I take. I also feel a high anti-oxident diet is important as general healthy way of eating is.
I personally keep a file on my health. I always ask for a copy of any tests, like blood work. I compare the results of blood work from one year to the next and see if numbers are going in the right direction. Inflammation is an issue with CRPS and that shows up in our blood work.
I personally use epson salt bath to reduce inflammation. You can buy it in larger quantities at Costco.
That is all I can think of at the moment-hope this helps. loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cja1 (02-06-2013)