Thread: stupid seizures
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 02:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

(((Hugs))) Seizures suck.

I like the headphone idea, too. I used to fly around in the back of a C-130 and wore those things. I didn't like the new headphones they got because they squeezed my head too tight and would give me a headache. But, the old ones cut out enough of the noise and were loose enough to do the job.

I'm trying to remember... is Andrew tube fed? We got rid of Tom's myoclonic seizures by going dairy-free.

Also, Tom's ears are by far the most sensitive in the family, but nowhere near what Andrew has. Smoke detectors (when the batteries are dying and they chirp), used to really freak him out. I'm not used to him crying very often and it took 10 minutes to calm him down afterwards. I would send him with the girls to a far bedroom and shut the door to change the batteries. Ugh! (And this is California, land of the small houses and high prices. Hard to get far away from the smoke detector.) Anyway, yesterday another smoke detector began chirping. I changed the battery with Tom in the room (Claire told him to cover his ears), and he had no problems at all with it. I'm thinking it's gluten related.

You know, I thought Tom did well on Depakene (the liquid version of Depakote), but I had to look up how long he was on each medicine for his DAN! appointment. He really only had myoclonic control for about 2 1/2 months on Depakene before we started playing around with increasing the dose. We finally lowered Depakene a bit and added on Keppra. That stopped the myoclonics and we were able to go monotherapy on Keppra. Keppra monotherapy worked fine for stopping the myoclonics. (Then, we went dairy-free, and haven't seen a myoclonic seizure since.)

The other thing that just popped in my head... several of the posters on the Epilepsy forum (at least, the old BrainTalk forum) who were later diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy (which I'm assuming Andrew does not have) talked about being easily startled as kids. It didn't take much to make them jump, or tip over their glass, or drop something, etc. Somehow, the super-sensitive hearing triggering a seizure strikes me as being related to that jumpy myoclonic seizure issue.

Don't know if any of this helps, but thought I'd throw it out there. Hope the Depakote helps Andrew.
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote