View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Default AFSP Indiana Newsletter

The stigma of suicide has affected the Strother family.
On October 3rd of 2008, Don Strother Jr. was lost to suicide.

I am Donna Sadler; I am a survivor that has no shame in being able to stand up and honor the ones that have been lost to suicide. I take a step in honor of Don Jr. every year to assist in the fundraising for suicide prevention in the Indianapolis Out of the Darkness community walk. Don Jr. was at the young age of twenty eight years old, a proud father, brother, uncle and a son. I am honored to say that in December of 2012, I was elected by several co-workers at Baldwin & Lyons for the Gift of Giving award... I was officially given the award on December 14th of 2012, for my volunteer service and commitment to AFSP. I do the volunteer work to help others never feel the way that I did on that day ~ October 3rd in 2008! I know that many run the other way when I mention suicide or they apologize and end the conversation... not me! I speak up and talk louder! I want to be heard, I want the world to know that suicide is occurring to people everywhere and it can happen to those who are right next to you! Don Jr. didn't have any diagnosed mental health issues, nor did I know the signs of suicide risk. Don Jr. had given a few prize positions away including one to me, a ring with a small cross on it! At the time I was excited because I had wanted it for a long time and it wasn't until it was too late... that I learned it was a sign. I now am aware of the signs of suicide, I learned them to late to help Don Jr., however, if we speak up and out ...then others may be aware before it's to late... To this day I am not able to explain why Don Jr. took his life that day, I just know that life had gotten the best of him and he lost the faith to hold on any longer. Don Jr. is loved and missed, however, he will never be forgotten by all the ones that loved him.

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
butterfly11 (02-14-2013), ginnie (02-22-2013), Mark56 (02-07-2013)