View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Kevin,

Well it's not my bone

A synthetic calcium material can be used or sterilized bone granules from a cadaver source. You could use your own bone but that is not always recommended. The tissue would be taken from someplace in your mouth... perhaps your palate. The surgeon will explain all of that to you in detail.

Please let us know what he says....

Bryanna
Hey Bryanna,

I hope you're doing well.

I just got back from the Oral Surgeon. I explained how I was still having sensitivty pain to hot/cold. And also how when I chew with that tooth it hurts when the pressure of chewing is applied to the tooth. He said he understood the 2 distinct types of pain I was still having. He asked if the pain when chewing was sharp or dull/achy and what food set it off. I said it didnt seem sharp more achy and chewing softer foods is OK, but crunchy things or steak mean more firm pressure is applied and thats when I feel the chewing pain. And obviously anything cold sets off the sensitivity pain.

It has been exactly 1 month since the original wisdom extraction.

He patiently listened to my symptoms, and went over my Xrays again and examined my mouth again. He tapped my teeth, used his mirrors, and had me bite this "carbon copy" paper to check where my teeth meet. He kept patting me on the shoulder and genuinely seems to feel bad about the trouble Im having.

His diagnosis was that this tooth had the root and "pulp" inside the tooth traumtized during the extraction. And this was causing the pain when chewing. He said the sensitivity was due to the small bit of exposed root where the wisdom tooth and tissue had been.

I asked him if he thought this tooth might have been fractured since it was next to the wisdom tooth that was extracted, but he said no, he said he did not see any fractures on the X-ray or during examination. He said other than the pulp trauma and exposed root the tooth seemed healthy.

He said there are 2 types of pulp trauma. One type heals and the other type is permanent and would require a root canal. He said he thinks the pulp in my tooth will settle down over the next month and that he didnt think any permanent damage was done to this tooth. (Im hope he's right!!!)

Now he is sending me back to my regular dentist to have 2 things done: The first is a liquid gel will be applied to the exposed root to "desensitize" it untill tissue can naturally grow to cover it. The other thing is to have this tooth filed down ever so slightly to releive the pain from pressure when chewing. He said after having these 2 things done he wants me to come back in 1 month to see him.

When I go back to the oral surgeon in 1 month he is hoping the pain when chewing will have subsided, and he is hoping enough new tissue will have grown around the exposed root to defend it from hot/cold naturally. If not he said he will be doing a bone PLUS tissue graft, but usually he only has to do that with people in their 50's and older. Since I'm 29 he thinks enough tissue will regenerate and he will only do the graft if all else has failed...

-Have you heard of the 2 types of pulp trauma he talked about? Where one type heals and another is permanent?
-Is it possible if this tooth was fractured below the gum line he could miss it in X-rays?
-Is there any other advice or questions I should be sure to ask next time I see him?

Thanks again for all your help. Having this discussion with you has made me feel more informed before going to see him and a little less frustrated with the situation. Take care!

-Kev
Kevdood83 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote