Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Smile Hi Dawn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawngri View Post
Hi Mark........I know of the risks for any surgery that you sign off for. What happened to me was atypical and related only to the SCS. The docs have no idea what happened or why. ..I went home and vomited for 12 hrs. Unknowingly this displaced my wires, and the unit when turned on was stabbing me on the sides of my chest. I began having shaking chills, then I felt like a furnace.
My hands and feet felt as if they were being smacked on concrete. .........I stopped using it after a week when my neuropathic pain got worse........the tech and I saw the doc, found the wires migrated and he sent me home only using the one good side. ..............but it just got worse every time I turned it on which was only a few more times. ...then I started having problems with weak legs and walking.......................so after 45 days it was removed. .......I am living with those symptoms, which were all from the SCS.................my issues are not the normal risks you take with any surgery........I could understand a stroke or cardiac event.........but not this......the horrible unrelenting muscle spasms are the worst
I just wanted to say "Hi" and to thank you for sharing
I am so very sorry to hear what you've been through and still going through. I wish the doctors could give you a better explanation to what may have gone wrong. I've heard of cases where the patient's body completely rejects the unit, as it is foreign to the body.
But what you describe almost sounds as tho you became very ill right after the implant and you had a fever.....I'm wondering if the doctors ruled out infection?
I completely comprehend the migrated lead bit. I also had that problem, and you're right, it causes stabbing pain, or in my case a very painful 'pinching' feeling, as tho I was being bit by a huge insect.

I'm hoping your body will heal in time and the nerve pain will simmer down. I've battled neuropathy for 6 yrs and boy is it a B-@#&*%!! Over the years since I've had my SCS tho, I've noticed the neuropathy has been getting less and less. Not sure if it's because of the unit, or if this would be happening even if I wouldn't have got the unit.
Please stick around. There's plenty of caring souls here and you've certainly been through the mill. If you click on the link that Mark provided, it'll take you down to the active posting where more people will see it. I know you'll get alot of feedback, and perhaps someone has been thru something similar.

Glad you found us, Dawn

Caring,
Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dawngri (02-18-2013), Mark56 (02-07-2013)