View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 11:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Jenna!

I am glad Dr. Doug's website helped....You did some wonderful research! Dr. Gillard does get email questions as well, so if you do not get your questions answered on Monday - email him. He says that every person is different and every person experiences pain differently - look at his research on sciatica. So do not worry about the findings being mild - tell your doctor how the pain affects YOU....I remember when I first got injured - the mri findings were mild back then....and I could not move - now after 11 years they are severe phase III at the L5-S1 area - and moderate to severe at L4 Phase II and mild at L3 and I can move - I learned how to live with the injury.

I sympathize with your MS pain...I can relate - I was put on a medication once that mirrored MS (literally - went through all the scans - bottom line it was the meds causing the symptoms) being Native American I shy away from compartmentalizing my body like the medical professionals do because that is not the way I was raised and not my heritage - I am a whole person, mind, body, soul - so I can only answer your question saying a a combination of all the listed MRI findings are the reason for your pain.

I approach pain relief with combination of spirituality, meditation, relaxation, Alexander techniques, massage, bath/aroma therapy, diet (combo of mediterranean/anti-inflammatory), teas and plenty of water, some isometric exercises (cannot move), and plenty of ice packs - I actively practice PRICE (Prevention, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) when in a flare. I do take a muscle relaxant, a nsaid and a mild opiod daily (in a flare and just had surgery) but I try to stay away from medications. My Primary doc just called and wants to put me on a statin for cholesterol - guess what I asked her, Doc... let me try something with my diet first - and we retest in 3 weeks...I was like that with all my meds........I am not completely pain free, - pain is my bodies way of telling me where my limitations are - I cope.

Have plenty of pillows around (I have 9 as I am more in bed then mobile) and everything close at hand, books, computer, water and a very understanding family. I prefer ice only because it helps to deaden the nerves going down my legs - others prefer heat - find out what is best for you....

This place is wonderful for support and any questions you may have.

Good luck on Monday -

Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote