View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Cool Smirk Should hold great promise but ..

Thank you so much LFC for sharing. This is some thing new combining the power of MRI to pin point the region in the brain to be stimulated by ultra sound waves. The video is remarkable and convincing, but I wonder how long it will take to make the treatment available for ordinary people like us
On a similar note, I have always held the belief that a non invasive form of DBS will be found and eventually refined to be the best treatment for PD. And If we dig in the archive of Neurotalk, we will discover many research papers on non-invasive electric peripheral stimulation used for treatment of neurological diseases.
Also, keep in mind the fact that Chinese medicine have been using acupuncture successfully for several thousands of years and acupuncture is a form of peripheral stimulation of exact points (nodes) facilitating the flow of energy (Chi) throughout our bodies.
Having said that, I confess that I am not excited any more by any research or "break throughs" treatment reported by the media. We have been disappointed so many times and all I get from the medical establishment is about 10 minutes every 6 months when I meet my neurologist and get the sinemet prescription !
Imad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
No one really seemed to share my amazement at learning about focused ultrasound possiblities for PD, so I dug further and found out more.

PTT has already had clinical trials for ET (Laura, I think you were dx'd with ET first, right?) and here is the video of the world's first ET patient who received focused ultrasound treatment at UVA, be sure to note the dates, from 1/11 he was having a lot of difficulty, to 3/11, what an improvement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oLbSzdaMLs

Here's a link describing the procedure in a bit more detail, sounds like you are awake so you can provide feedback during the procedure, and you go home the day after:

http://www.fusfoundation.org/Press-R...sential-tremor

What do you all think of this? It's like DBS, but without the gear, and with a much higher efficacy rate, with the bonus of helping symptoms other than just tremor.