Thread: frustrated
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My primary doctor gave me a one-week prescription for oxygen and told me to pay out-of-pocket rather than using insurance since the oximetry isn't low enough to indicate breathing problems. Even though the prescription is for one week, the oxygen company leaves the machine for one month since they don't do weekly rentals. Since November, I feel all the time as if my throat is closing. It's been getting worse where I feel as if I'm being actively strangled, especially when lying down. Chest pain increases and spreads when I can't breathe, and I'm light-headed all the time without the oxygen (and with it if the setting is too low). I also sound all the time as if I've sucked helium. My voice returns to normal very briefly when I cough, drink or eat.

My primary doctor's dad has MG and says he has similar symptoms of throat closing and palpable popping sound when swallowing. I can tell my throat constricts because the oxygen doesn't get into my lungs very well, the oxygen access varies depending on how hard symptoms are hitting. I know it's not as common, but MG can affect respiration.

I had a pulmo appointment yesterday (I slept 7 hours straight after the appointment & another 4 hours today -- normally, I can only sleep 1-2 hours max at a stretch). I've got more lung function tests next week and a sleep study.
seishin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote