View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Post hmmmm...

I don't see any details posted here as to the content of the B-complex being asked about. Without that, really there is no answer.

Most people tolerate B-complex well. Many seek it out in high dose because
it usually makes people feel better. In fact I can get too strung out on high dose and get hyper if I don't watch myself (this is B-100 once a day).

There are B formulas that are rather mild with 5-10mg of B's in them.
Then there are B50's, B100's and even B150's. So without knowing the content being asked about, this question is rather hard to respond to.

The B-6 controversy involved grams of B-6 taken for months/years. It was a handful of patients who developed a neuropathy from so much.
B6 was at one time given in huge doses for PMS. And B-6 is the only vitamin that demonstrates toxicity in very high doses, and when extremely low. Same symptoms.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminb6.asp
Here is the newest suggestion from that site:
Quote:
What is the health risk of too much vitamin B6?
Too much vitamin B6 can result in nerve damage to the arms and legs. This neuropathy is usually related to high intake of vitamin B6 from supplements, [28] and is reversible when supplementation is stopped. According to the Institute of Medicine, "Several reports show sensory neuropathy at doses lower than 500 mg per day" [12]. As previously mentioned, the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine has established an upper tolerable intake level (UL) for vitamin B6 of 100 mg per day for all adults [12]. "As intake increases above the UL, the risk of adverse effects increases [12]."
Here is a recent paper:
Quote:
: Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2005 Nov 12;149(46):2545-6. Links

Comment in:
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2005 Nov 12;149(46):2541-4.
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2006 Feb 4;150(5):277; author reply 277.
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2006 Feb 4;150(5):278; author reply 278.

[How much vitamin B6 is toxic?]
[Article in Dutch]

* Katan MB.

Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences en Wageningen Universiteit, afd. Humane Voeding, Bomenweg 2, 6703 HD Wageningen. martijn.katan@wur.nl

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) causes neuropathy at intakes of 1000 mg per day or more, which is about 800 times the daily intake from foods. There have also been occasional reports of toxicity at intakes of 100-300 mg per day. The US authorities set the no-observed-adverse-effect-level at 200 mg per day and the safe upper limit at 100 mg per day. A report of neurotoxicity in 2 patients who had taken 24 mg and 40 mg of vitamin B6 per day respectively, may be coincidence rather than a true toxic effect of such relatively low doses. However, physicians need to remain alert to high intakes of vitamin B6 as a cause of unexplained neuropathy.

PMID: 16320662 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
As I said...there are typically handfuls of patients affected by high B-6... not as common as many side effects of DRUGS for example. But enough to warrant caution as far as extremely high dose goes.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 05-06-2007 at 06:56 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote