View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 02:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have no Pediasure experience. Eating-wise, Tom was fairly normal. He was breastfed until 4 months, then we switched to formula. We began adding solids at 6 months. By 12 months, he was completely off formula and drinking milk. At 15 months, he had his "first" seizure, and that was triggered by yogurt. I used to believe that yogurt triggered seizures in Tom. I have since changed my mind that it is not the yogurt so much as the increase in total dairy consumed. Days that he ate yogurt, he had more dairy.... enough to tip the scales and have a seizure.

Just looking at the web, I can't find ingredients listing for Enfamil with Iron, which is the formula I used for Tom. But, it does say (http://www.enfamil.com/products/formulas/i_1_3.html) that the ratio of whey to casein in the formula is 60:40 (which means more whey than casein) "just like breastmilk." Whereas the Pediasure vanilla (http://www.pediasure.com/App_Pages/pedia_info.aspx - click on the "vanilla" icon) lists "milk protein concentrate" ahead of "whey protein concentrate." I'm assuming the "milk protein concentrate" is some concentrated form of casein, because I always think of casein as the protein in milk.

Anyway, all this is to say, it looks like this change has increased the casein (milk protein) in Paige's diet. A lot of kids have problems with casein. I've never bothered to try and figure out if Tom has a problem with casein (versus lactose or whey). We just avoid all dairy. I'm really starting to believe neurologically impaired kids should avoid dairy, but I'm kind of nutty that way. Do they make a dairy-free Pediasure? (It doesn't look like it, but I thought I'd ask.)

So... to answer that last question, I think she could have been okay with the formula and have problems now with Pediasure if it's a dairy problem. That fits with our experience with Tom and dairy and the allergy bucket theory. You can only handle so much. Once the bucket is filled, things are going to happen (seizures, vomitting, whatever you're susceptible to).

Hope that makes sense. (Hope you don't think I'm a nut. )
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote