View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Give mom a day off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain patch View Post
My mom complained because they could not go anywhere because of the dizziness. Now, he can go some places but is so out of it he can't talk to people and keep up with what is going on at all. He is so dependent on my mom he has become her infant and he freaks when she is not with him. She is loosing it because she needs a break from him sometimes. How do we deal with this? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
If I may be so bold...I feel for your whole family as illness impacts everyone. However, your mom sounds near her breaking point. If she breaks, then what happens? I suggest maybe some other close family members help to give her at least one day a week "off" so she does not lose it. Remember the oxygen in the airplane advice; your mom would be first to get oxygen then your dad. He is only going to do well if she is good mental shape to keep up with all the responsibility. I know people are busy but surely someone could give her a break on the weekend.

LFAC gave great advice; seek out caregiver info on the net and check into local hospital to see what sort of caregiver support groups are nearby. She may want a more interpersonal connection.

Local SDS/MSA Support Groups (USA)

http://www.shy-drager.org/local-support-groups#sthash.Bh3b0lTI.dpbs

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aunt Bean (02-11-2013), Brain patch (02-10-2013), Thelma (02-12-2013)