View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default NorCalGal

[I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGal View Post
Another great topic. I feel like such a pest though. This "quercetin", what is it, where can I buy it and how is it taken and most importantly what's it supposed to do? Are you taking it to increase your "ON" time, combat Dyskenesia, improve energy? I started reading the thread from the beginning but fast forwarded to page 6 when I realized this thread was nearly 2 years old. Oh yeah and I have the same questions about skullcap....scary name!

Norcalgal
I can't take the time to dig thru some of lengthy threads either, so here's the short answer (from pg 5 of this thread, I think):

From the American Journal of Physiology, April 2009

"...Quercetin is one of a broad group of natural polyphenolic flavonoid substances that are being investigated for their widespread health benefits. These benefits have generally been ascribed to its combination of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity, but recent in vitro evidence suggests that improved mitochondrial biogenesis could play an important role....Quercetin increased mRNA expression of PGC-1α and SIRT1 (P < 0.05), mtDNA (P < 0.05) and cytochrome c concentration (P < 0.05). These changes in markers of mitochondrial biogenesis were associated with an increase in both maximal endurance capacity (P < 0.05) and voluntary wheel-running activity (P < 0.05). These benefits of querectin on fitness without exercise training may have important implications for enhancement of athletic and military performance and may also extend to prevention and/or treatment of chronic diseases. ...Our dat a indicate that PGC-1α and SIRT1 expression are increased significantly in both skeletal muscle and brain following just 7 days of quercetin feedings. ....The practical importance of this discovery lies in the fact that, unlike other flavonoids, like resveratrol, being studied for their benefits to health and performance, the plant source of quercetin is relatively inexpensive to grow and harvest, and the purification of quercetin is straightforward. It has also been shown to be safe and effective at relatively low dosages (e.g., 500–1000 mg/day) (10, 30). If these results translate clinically, these benefits of querectin may have important implications for enhancement of athletic and military performance. It is also intriguing to consider the possible relevance of these benefits of quercetin on various chronic diseases like cardiovascular, metabolic (e.g., type 2 diabetes), and neurodegenerative diseases in which physical inactivity and mitochondrial dysfunction are hallmarks. "[\]

pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote