View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Oh, what I was going to add but got distracted, was that 30 years ago when I blew out my L5-S1 disc and had a significant S1 radiculopathy, I remember having rectal cramping and did bring this up to my spine-ortho. I asked him if there was a connection between the disc hernia and the spasming and he said there was not. On my next visit I showed him some pages out of a neuroanatomy textbook which showed the connection; I believe it was S2-S4 roots that contribute to the sympathetic innervation of the rectum. All greek aside, he was speechless! But then again he is a spine-ortho, not a proctologist.
Hi Dubious

Thanks for sharing about your cramping experience! As bad as my benign fasciculations are, I never had spasms in my rectum for no more than seconds. The spasms/twitches have been relentless and miserable. The spasms are as bad as the rectal pressure, and now my bowels seem "confused". I used to go very regularly as I eat a high fiber diet.

I know I need a new neurosurgeon--I do not trust the one I have. I have never been to an orthopedist yet, I need to do this too. My overall objective is too do all I can to avoid back surgery. In truth, I never known anyone it has benefited, but perhaps there are some out there. One chiropractor took an xray recently on a new consultation visit and said he saw two areas of entrapment, but he was too costly for me to continue to see--he was more focused on making a payment plan than to discuss my xrays (dangling the xray carrot). I see another chiropractor tomorrow so hopefully more light will be shed.

I hope your back is doing well, thank you so much for your help here! Since the colon surgeon I visited with saw nothing, I will try a gynecological exam and gastroenterologist. The colon surgeon said "I have never heard of such symptoms--this is a first". Thank you dubious for your input!

Beth Ann
baldeagle9 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote