View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
With regards to the biopsy, I must caution you and others about the results. I am seeing Dr. James Berry at Mass General who specializes in SFN and he explained the difficulties of biopsy. He said at one time he did them frequently but discovered in too many cases the nerve counts were normal or near normal when there was clearly a problem. He also saw cases where the nerve counts were abnormally low and there was no associated problems. He definitely uses them when the neuropathy appears to be advancing rapidly. But in general, when the neuropathy is not advancing, it does not take him in any new diagnostic direction.
dAC122: Does it mean that there are cases when nerve counts are normal or near normal but patients are symptomatic while on the other hand, there are nerve counts that are abnormally low and yet patients are asymptomatic?

For t hose asymptomatic patients, how can they subject themselves to skin biopsy when they dont have symptoms of discomforts in the first place? I'd like to understnd what the doctor meant about his precaution of getting a skin biopsy. My skin biopsy last year showed normal result but my pain is getting worse than when it started.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote