View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Hiedil - it seems we have a lot in common. I have been married for 25 years and my husband was diagnosed at 40 yrs old. When he was dx'd, he went through all of the phases...disbelief, scared, anxious, angry. ( No violence - just feelings) I should say "we" went through all of the phases, because my feelings were there with him every step of the way...right up until the angry phase. I didn't understand all his frustrations at the time, which were: What if I can't work? How are we going to raise 3 kids and send them to college? Will I be able to walk our daughter down the isle at her wedding? ( She is 8 yrs. old) How am I going to be able to coach and play sports with our boys? Am I going to miss out on their lives? I don't want you to have to take care of me! Etc. It was really tough for awhile. Then our MDS sat down with us and explained that this was not a death sentence and our lives would be manageable with meds, patience, love & support. I vowed again on that day, just like on our wedding day, that I would be there every step of the way! I have to say that our turning point was when he started taking Azilect. It was unexpected and all of a sudden I realized that he was back to his old self and has been ever since. It changed everything! That was 8 years ago. I want lie, it's not always easy, because all of those worries are still there and they take their toll sometimes. I have just learned to become more patient. I'm sure you know, Stress is his worst enemy and I remind myself of that every time I want to get upset about something petty. It's just not worth it! However, I am not a saint - I do have my moments...I just choose my battles carefully! Wine helps too!
We have actually talked about my husband getting off Azilect to try other meds, but the more I talk about it, the more it seems it has been a real benefit. I truly believe it helped his anxiety and he has never had any compulsive disorders. If he only has slight tremors, I would question being on the Mirapex, at all, too! I hope you can work through this! It is a very trying time, but if you can get the right med regimen, take the back seat for a while and let compassion take the front...I think you will be okay. (Except for compulsion issues - of course, you have to jump back in front) We are here for you!

Take Care!
Cynthia
Lemonlime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote