View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiopathic PN View Post
dAC122: Does it mean that there are cases when nerve counts are normal or near normal but patients are symptomatic while on the other hand, there are nerve counts that are abnormally low and yet patients are asymptomatic?

For t hose asymptomatic patients, how can they subject themselves to skin biopsy when they dont have symptoms of discomforts in the first place? I'd like to understnd what the doctor meant about his precaution of getting a skin biopsy. My skin biopsy last year showed normal result but my pain is getting worse than when it started.
I am sorry I probably stated that wrong. You are right, asymptomatic patient would not even see this doctor, much less take a skin biopsy. I think he meant patients who had milder symptoms.

My take away from discussions with Dr. Berry is that he did not see strong enough correlation between nerve counts and symptoms to take him in a different diagnostic direction for cases where symptoms did not advance. Hence he has stopped doing skin biopsies, except in cases where symptoms are rapidly advancing.

My wider point is that skin biopsies have their place but maybe not for those with stable symptoms. Following his protocol you might be a candidate for another skin biopsy.
dac122 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote