View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20382063
Thoracic outlet syndrome part 2: conservative management of thoracic outlet.
Watson LA, Pizzari T, Balster S.
Source

LifeCare Prahran Sports Medicine Centre, 316 Malvern Road, Prahran, VIC 3181, Australia.
Abstract

Thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) is a symptom complex attributed to compression of the nerves and vessels as they exit the thoracic outlet. Classified into several sub-types, conservative management is generally recommended as the first stage treatment in favor of surgical intervention. In cases where postural deviations contribute substantially to compression of the thoracic outlet, the rehabilitation approach outlined in this masterclass will provide the clinician with appropriate management strategies to help decompress the outlet. The main component of the rehabilitation program is the graded restoration of scapula control, movement, and positioning at rest and through movement. Adjunctive strategies include restoration of humeral head control, isolated strengthening of weak shoulder muscles, taping, and other manual therapy techniques. The rehabilitation outlined in this paper also serves as a model for the management of any shoulder condition where scapula dysfunction is a major contributing factor.

Copyright 2010 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

the strengthening they talk about is scary but the "setting your scapula" deal is spot on

also like that they said this about external rotation exercises

yes!! x1000000

i had this happen to me, it causes traction
the more traction, the more the muscles clamp around the nerve

i am convinced now that when i just shove my shoulders back (like the awful cues they give you in pt) without engaging my serratus, that i am actually causing traction. not compression, which is why my hands tingle when doingthis

this is about soft tissue release stuff and would be more beneficial to people here

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3109687/

Thoracic outlet syndrome: a controversial clinical condition. Part 2: non-surgical and surgical management
Troy L Hooper,1 Jeff Denton,2 Michael K McGalliard,1,3 Jean-Michel Brismée,1,3 and Phillip S Sizer, Jr1,3
Author information ► Copyright and License information ►
Go to:
Abstract
Background

Proper management of thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) requires an understanding of the underlying causes of the disorder. A comprehensive examination process, as described in Part 1 of this review, can reveal the bony and soft tissue abnormalities and mechanical dysfunctions contributing to an individual’s TOS symptoms.
Objective

Part 2 of this review focuses on management of TOS.
Conclusion

The clinician uses clinical examination results to design a rehabilitation program that focuses on correcting specific problems that were previously identified. Disputed neurogenic TOS is best managed with a trial of conservative therapy before surgical treatment options are considered. Cases that are resistant to conservative treatment may require surgical intervention. True neurogenic TOS may require surgical intervention to relieve compression of the neural structures in the thoracic outlet. Surgical management is required for cases of vascular TOS because of the potentially serious complications that may arise from venous or arterial compromise. Post-operative rehabilitation is recommended after surgical decompression to address factors that could lead to a reoccurrence of the patient’s symptoms.
Keywords: Conservative management, Review, Thoracic outlet syndrome, Surgical management

shows pt mobilizing first rib and self mobilizing

Last edited by mspennyloafer; 02-13-2013 at 01:15 PM.
mspennyloafer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote