View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've had two, one was an abbreviated (~ 2hours) and the other was a half day.

The exact tests vary depending on how the symptoms present. My deficits included visuospatial and verbal learning and memory, abstract reasoning, mental flexibility, and problem solving. The exam should be conducted by a licensed clinical neuropsychologist.

The evaluation typically starts with an interview to get your self-assessment, and they also observe language, motor skills, and overall affect. They may include a spouse or significant other in the interview (my wife attended this part with me).

They then perform a battery of different tests of cognitive functioning. Again, the exact test may vary based on your areas of difficulty, my tests included:

Subtests of the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS-IV)
Beck Depression and Anxiety inventories
Reading tests (WRAT-3)
Auditory Learning
Visuospatial memory tests
Trail marking A & B
Wisconsin Card Sorting test
Verbal Fluency

They will compare the results with “normal” scores based on your age, education background and other demographic factors.

I was coming from a different place in that I desperately wanted to go back to work. But overall my advice would be do what you can do, and let them compile the results. If you are having attention/memory issues that will become apparent. On my first one I “failed” miserably, so they prescribed specific speech and occupational therapies which helped immensely, and I was given a “Return to work” recommendation after the second one three months later.

Best to you.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (02-13-2013)