Thread: Pressure sores?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessings2You View Post
I appreciate the suggestions so far. I see my PCP next month, and I'm going to see if there's any chance he would prescribe one of those $$$ cushions. First I'm going to see if my insurance even covers DME.

In doing a little research, I found one thing (at least) that I'm doing wrong, and hope it doesn't come back to bite me. I do a lot of sliding/dragging myself to get off my recliner, sofa, and bed. And because of the muscle problems I've been having with my legs, I also tend to slide forward in the chair. Sliding/dragging = bad.

I have one cheap ($20-30) cushion that does seem to help. I've ordered a couple similar ones (thank God for Amazon), and I think I'll get some kind of cushion for the car. I can't imagine squirming around on that hard car seat trying to keep my legs "comfortable" is a good idea either.
Yeah, shearing, not good.

Three major factors in the development of pressure ulcers are (1) prolonged pressure on a part due to the weight of the body or a limb; (2) a shearing force that exerts downward and forward pressure on tissues beneath the skin (this can occur when the patient slides downward while sitting in a bed or chair, or when bedclothes are forcibly pulled from under the patient); and (3) nutritional status: good nutrition is essential for preventing pressure ulcers and healing already existing ones; a dietary deficiency should be suspected with a loss of 5 per cent or more of body weight or a serum albumin level below 3.5 mg/dl.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...pressure+ulcer
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Anonymous
Jules A is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (02-14-2013), Brain patch (02-14-2013), SallyC (02-14-2013)