View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My son is 7 and on the spectrum. He amazes me with his ability to watch a movie, and then repeat the characters exact words and within context while doing other things. He does this constantly, even when doing other tasks- like his homework. He recites the whole movie perfectly with the same emotional addition to the lines in the movie that each character has- all while writing his cursive sentences or whatever assignment he has for the day. When he is through going through the movie, he starts over again and does this constantly when he is not doing something he is really into- like his video games. While he plays his video games, he reads the subscripts with emotion as well. He has learned social behavior and come out of having the typical monitoned voice for autistic children by watching movies and how people act on movies. He is my little 'actor.' This is good in that he has developed more social skills by this experience, but also bad sometimes when he picks up something that he shouldn't say (because nothing get past him). Like on the movie 'Home Alone'- the 'dad' character says a curse word- so then Boston repeats it in context and doesn't even know what it means. Good and Bad. This article is encouraging though, in that there are certain things he could use his abilities for as an adult, maybe a certain 'niche' he could find in a job as an adult.
BostonsJourney7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-15-2013)