View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 03:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Wink

I am one who does take pain meds. BUT I think that the whole spectrum should be addressed also. It doesn't make it wrong or right whether one takes pain meds (narcotics/opioids) or not. In my estimation it is whatever works for one is how one should address treating & dealing with RSD. Whatever works for anyone individual is exactly how that individual should slap their RSD down.

I too have been in pain my whole life due to having Fibromyalgia since being born. And I think, that once surgery in my foot set it off into even worse realms of pain than I though anyone could survive that I finally reached the level of pain with RSD where I just could no longer handle it, Fibro & RSD both, without some type of narcotic/opioid medication help. I am not afraid of having RSD anymore either & I agree, once you get past the fear of it, it is easier to cope with having RSD. But I didn't reach 'there' until I was able to come down out of the realm of pain I was in, because I couldn't think past 'that' level of pain. And before having RSD, Fibro would knock me flat on my back so to speak off & on also. The two types of pain are very distinct in their aspects, atleast for me it is. Then sometimes the two evolve into each other. Especially in my feet. And neither narcotics nor opioids ever help the Fibro pain.

I did have to quit my job even tho I loved what I did also. I cried buckets over giving up that job. And to this day I still miss it. I had always wanted to work in the Social Services area & I finally got a job in our local Social Services office for the county in which I live. And I excelled in it. But talk about STRESS!!! oh my gosh. You had to be on top of all laws & procedures for the county, state & federal government. And they all seemed to change weekly, if not daily sometimes. I think it is great whoever out there is able to continue working. I envy all of you who can. I have times when I think, hmmm maybe I could go back to work, or I think if only I could feel like this every hour of every day I could go back to work. Then WHAM, I get hit with break through pain & it puts the kibosh on that thought in a hurry. I do try to do things around the house to keep my thoughts off of RSD. I love movies & certain TV shows. I love to read. And I also attempt what housework I am able to do. I can't keep house like I wish I could. I see all these things I know need doing, but now I just can't do them anymore. I would have to say the drugs that knock my socks off into lalala land are Lyrica. And the drug I take that worries my doctor about my driving a car isn't the morphine I take, it is the Neurontin I take. Those are the two that also have my memory no longer functioning as it use too either.

Now as to the cyanosis, I have never had the blue color in either of my feet or my hands. I must have maybe what is termed HOT RSD *L* cause I feel burning in my feet & hands. And talk about RED whhhhhhoaaaaaaaaaaa baby they get so red they look maroon/burgundy to red violet in color. Now don't get me wrong, they also will get cold, where they feel cold to the touch even, but they still remain RED as RED can be. I take Trental to help with oxygenation to my appendages. I do think it helps alot. I have been on it for over 3 yrs now so that could be why they have never reached the color blue. But again I have also had several LSB's & SGB's which according to my doctor can stop alot of the visible symptoms from happening. Even if they dont seem to help with the pain side of it. The LSB's didn't seem to help with the pain in my feet much at all, but the SGB's have helped alot with my hands. I wasn't taking Trental during the time I had the LSB's done, but was way before I ever had any SGB's done.

I have been fighting this bugger ever since 11/03 if not before. I just wanted to add my, well was going to say 2 cents, but looks more like several $$'s worth instead *LOL*

More power to whatever works for anyone of us.........

DebbyV
Debby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote