View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiopathic PN View Post
My sleeping is good. Well, that is one thing I probably benefit from Gabapentin -- it helps me sleep at night. I dont think I have Narcolepsy. I just hope I can taper down the gabapentin dosage but I cannot. How long have you been on the same dosage of gabapentin. In 15 months, I went from 900mg to 1800mg. My doctor said that there are a lot of patients that once it finds the right dosage, it stays in the same dosage for a long time. That is why he increased my dosage to 600mg 3x a day because in my previous dosage, my pain was not well controlled. For a while, I was doing good with the new dosage but now, it would seem that the pain in my feet is worse.
I have never heard of anyone receiving relief at a dosage less than 1800 mg., so it isn't surprising that you weren't receiving much benefit at lower dosages. I have been on this 1800 mg. for five years now. My foot, hand, and leg pain has increased dramatically in that time so I am on morphine and oxycodone, but the burning, zapping, and symptoms that gabapentin covers have continued to be under control.
Gabapentin does not really touch the severe pain that can come with this condition. It dampens the nerves and helps most with the burning, but most people are on additional pain medication. Do not be afraid to ask for it, but if you are already experiencing cognitive issues I can understand being cautious. Perhaps something else entirely would be better for you.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote