View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
I am no longer having breathing difficulties. What I meant by tolerating cpap, was being able to stand having a contraption strapped to your face while you are trying to fall asleep. The small dose of Xanax only relaxes me enough so that I can go off to sleep without being so aware of my discomfort from cpap.
They did put bipap on me at the local hospital and it was horrible in my experience. I could not keep up with the pace and it would be forcing me to inhale when I was trying to exhale. I felt as if my lungs would explode.
I am still using cpap at home, but did have to reduce the pressure slightly, because I was having a little difficulty exhaling against the incoming pressure while in the hospital. All is good with that now. Xanax does not seem to depress my breathing, only makes me sleepy enough to ignore any discomfort I may have.
I am sorry, but this makes no sense.

If you are not having breathing difficulties, why do you need respiratory support at all?
Xanax is a muscle relaxant, so it quite likely effects your respiratory muscles.
What you describe with the Bipap sounds like it was not properly adjusted. Quite likely both the pressures and the rate were too high and/or the Bipap was not sensitive enough.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote