View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

One thing to consider when trying to decide whether to start medication or not is if you allow yourself to become too symptomatic, it will be tough to follow a good exercise program. There has been some research done that demonstrates what a good effect exercise can have on PD, and my own personal experience really supports that. My first symptoms appeared about 13 years ago, but I still work six or seven hours a day at a demanding job, and enjoy walking and stretching daily and frequently swimming, cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing and biking. I'm trying to convince myself that weight training would be a good thing, but am not quite there yet! I also believe that a good diet, friends, and enough sleep are super important.

I've taken Mirapex for nearly nine years now - the only side effect is a tiny bit of ankle swelling. I'm very aware of the possibility of OCD, and my husband is on the alert for it. I've also taken Sinemet for eight years, and have never had any side effects. The thought of being seriously dyskinetic scares me, but so far so good. I'm always trying something to improve the situation, and my latest is eating a ton of vegetables a la Terry Wahls.

Good luck with sorting out your life with PD. I guess you could say it's an interesting journey.
wendy s is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (02-16-2013), rappleman (03-04-2013), soccertese (02-17-2013)