View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question how can i test if my root canal holds bacteria

Hello: I am new here and hope I am doing this right. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for a few years now, and more than the joint pain, is the fatigue and muscle aches which I sometimes feel, that get me down. I have been reading lately at at how antibiotic therapy has worked for some people ( the Road Back Foundation) and in the literature there is mention on how root canals can contribute or even cause RA due to bacteria.
This past summer my dentist drilled next to my root canal and put a crown on the broken tooth (next to the root canal) and I felt symptoms as if i had the flu - again a bit like what i feel on and off, and have been for the last 10 years. I called the dentist and she said there was no relation, and it was coincidental that I suddenly felt ill.I didn't believe that then and especially not now, after reading all these things about bacteria. This makes a lot of sense. Is there a way I can be tested to see if my root canal holds bacteria?? I had it done the first time just about 15 years ago, and it never felt right. My gums were always"itchy" and bit swollen. SO i had it redone five years ago, and remember the surgeon removing a bit of cotton that was left inside> I thought that was the culprit and what might have been causing the discomfort and feeling of it just not being right. But now I realize nothing really has changed. Could i have bacteria there that is making me feel ill, and ultimately contributing to RA? ANd if so, how can i be tested for that?? Many thanks. Lorena
lorena9 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote