View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 02:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default sorry to hear this

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
you can"t be serious about taking your daughter to a vet? i hope not.

i assume vets can't be sued for malpractice beyond the economic value of your animal, kind of influences how doctors behave, you toe the line if you want to minimize your risk of lawsuits. it's a terrible system but i have a little more sympathy for docs, and with obamacare bringing affordable healthcare coverage to millions more i have even more sympathy for overworked docs.

i live in a metropolitan area and almost every vet i've gone to except one wanted to milk me for every penny he/she could, as my dog got older they wanted to put her on expensive food/supplements which they would gladly sell me monthly. the whole pet industry imho is just as bad as our human medical system, worse in some cases when they encourage people to spend a fortune to pamper their pets and when vets will encourage pet owners to spend thousands of dollars to save a $50 pet far past when the animal should have been put down. if vets could bill insurance for frivolous procedures they would imho.
ST, sorry to hear about this, it is not my experience at all. No doubt there are vets out there like this but I've not run into any...my vet is very conservative and conscious of cost and I guess I am very lucky.

And I've already read that lawyers aretrying to get lawsuit damages beyond the value of the animal approved...and when that happens, costs will skyrocket.

And no, I wasn't REALLY going to take my kid to the vet, but I did throw it out there to see what she thought...and honestly, even with insurance covering our visit to the doctor, the vet would have been a cheaper option. And they probably would have given her a bath and trimmed her toenails while she was there
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote