View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri_TOS View Post
Patty,

Surgery is each person's choice but if the quality of life is not liveable, then you might need to consider surgery. People who have bony abnormalities tend to fare better from surgery but this obviously depends on each person's case, the surgeon's ability, etc. I have had the surgery on both sides and had bony abnormalities both times (large bone growth on 1st rib (side 1), enlarged C7 transverse process and extra wide 1st rib (side 2)) and I'm glad to have done the surgeries. Given you live in a rural area, you need to consider traveling to see a qualified TOS surgeon and the surgeons are accustomed to dealing with patients traveling from out-of-state. What state do you live in?

The prior history of surgeries to that arm may impact the level of recovery which is why you really need to see a good TOS surgeon.

With the 1st surgery, I had the collapsed lung (pneumothorax) and complications with lung in the 2nd surgery. The doctors are aware of the potential complications and, in my experience, take any compliant seriously.
I live in GA Emory is an hour away. I guess I could have worded that better. It's just that the doctors in my area seem to work for the basics but if you have something's weird.....forget it! I will see the neuro up here if he laughs in my face I will go to ATL to try and get a diagnosis. Then hopefully to the thoracic surgeon. I don't want surgery but I also know the longer you wait the possibility of permanent damage is greater.
Pattymary88 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote