Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiopathic PN View Post
Groucho,

I am sorry but I dont remember now your history. When were you diagnosed? Do you have SFN? Is your pain limited to your feet and legs?

It seems that you developed a fairly quick tolerance in Gabapentin. I started at 900mg a day in October 2011 and work my way up to 1800mg a day (this is my current dosage). I was trying to hold as long as possible my 1500mg a day because I had a strong suspicion that my neuropathy will be for a long haul. But, the discomforts making me nuts. So, I agreed to increase it to 1800mg a day. Also, my neuro was telling that most patients once they find the right dosage that works for them, they stay in the same dosage for a long long time. Anyway, this was last December. WHen I upped it to 1800mg the pain became tolerable, in fact, I can walk for more than 30mins , walk in the treadmill at speed 3 and an incline of 7. Then, lately, my feet starts to hurt again. I stopped the treadmill and just walk slowly at 30mins. Do my epsom salt soakinng at night but the degree of pain now is more than before I increased to 1800mg! :-(
My GP first offered me Gabapentin in 2011. I resisted and in the spring of 2012 I asked to be referred to a Neurologist. I June last year, he diagnosed me with early stage PN. If he was more specific, I didn't pay attention. He initially suggested a Tens Unit, but that didn't appeal to me & opted for the Gabapentin, at which he started me at 400mg daily, which didn't do anything for me. We quickly worked up to 400mg x3 daily. 2 months later to 600mg 3x daily then to 4x daily a couple of months later. I now have started the Nortryptyline. I have a really bothersome & uncomfortable "folded sock" behind my toes & prior to any treatment, I had pains going up my lower legs, especially when climbing or going down stairs. Numbness is maily in my center 3 toes of each feet, but am noticing it more right now in the big toes. My Navy buddy has had some really good results with the Nortryp, and wasn't able to tolerate the Gaba at all, hence my asking the Neuro for it.

The Fog has lifted.
groucho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Idiopathic PN (02-18-2013)