View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Muireann provided this must see video link in another thread, but there is some interesting research emerging on B-12 and PD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEizypoyO0

Vitamin B12-impaired metabolism produces apoptosis and Parkinson phenotype in rats expressing the transcobalamin-oleosin chimera in substantia nigra.

Just had my levels checked last week, so now I really anticipate results. I almost feel like it is worth it to start a list of all things causing Parkinsonism and testing when applicable. Wonder how many of us would still be in the Idiopathic PD group?

Laura
who created that video? almost nobody is identified who is speaking. do they do it at the end?
i watched a little of that video, a string of anecdotes interspersed with quotes from experts that don't actually say there is a major problem but because it is interspersed with all these first person accounts you think they are in agreement with the video imho is not very convincing evidence. seems like they are talking about B-12 deficiency when maybe they should be talking about not being able to absorb B-12??

are you saying everyone should go out and get b-12 tests?

i can't understand how anyone can have a b-12 deficiency if they eat meat or take a multi-vitamin.

according to this article, the body stores a lot of b-12
"The Need for Supplementation

Deficiency is never the result of any short-term issue. The usual (non-vegetarian) “Western” diet provides 5-7 mcg of B12 per day, which is more than adequate to maintain appropriate levels: the RDA is 2mcg/day (2.6mcg/day in pregnancy). The total body stores are 2-5 milligrams, meaning that deficiency is the result of years of reduced intake – missing a day, a week or a month or more of any B12 consumption would not be expected to result in any clinically meaningful effects in someone with previously normal body stores."

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...nergy-panacea/
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote