View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 09:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

((((((Susan)))))),

I'm no expert on hydro. I'm sure one of the experienced parents will be along in a few minutes.

It definitely sounds like he's having pain -- A LOT OF PAIN. Your son tearing at his eyes makes sense 'cause his vision might be affected.

What kind of a doctor are you seeing?? The surgeon??

There could be any number of things. Has anyone checked the Medtronic to make sure it's even turned on??

I'm surprised -- actually horrified would be a better word -- that they haven't done a flow study to make sure the darn thing is working.

Just from my limited understanding of hydro which I've just picked up from hanging around the forums -- the thing could be malfunctioning or over-draining. If the shunt is overdraining, the lining of his skull could be pulling away which I understand is painful. On the other end of the spectrum, if it's not draining enough, that can also cause pain.

You need to go back and DEMAND -- even if you have to kick holes in the walls -- DEMAND that they find out why your kid is in so much pain.

Are you in the US or another country. I would take your son to urgent care and tell them that he just had a new shunt placed and he's demonstrating incredible pain and visual and hearing disturbances.

Someone with more knowledge and experience will be along soon. I'd definitely say though that it sounds like your son is demonstrating vision and hearing problems and pain.

Hugs.

Barb

PS: Do you normally have any way at all of communicating with him. Does he understand "ouchies"?? Can he normally communicate in some way that he hurts?? This really concerns me, Susan -- I wouldn't be waiting until office hours in the morning. I'd be going to the emergency ward immediately. One thing that does come to mind is I know a woman who's daughter has been in and out of hospitals a lot because of hydro and other issues. They actually 'forget' to turn the darn thing on sometimes. I'm wondering if this would be the case for your son... It's like two steps: the surgery, then turn the thing on. Sometimes step two doesn't get taken.
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote