View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default M.S.Hug v M.S. shortage of breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Does anyone who deals with the "hug" also have a difficult time getting a good, deep breath?

I wouldn't call this "shortness of breath"......it's just more difficult to get a satisfyingly deep breath. Kind of like stopping a yawn before it's all finished. That feeling of not quite getting the whole thing.

Whenever I deal with the "hug" I have a nagging pain in my right side right below my underarm and above my waist. Feels like sort of a "catch" you get in your side when you run too much (haven't done that in years ).

It's much more noticeable when I lie down and especially on my side. So, I sleep on my back 99% of the time. Tried using another pillow but that just made it worse. Seems the more my head is inclined the worse it gets.

Does anybody else deal with this and, if you do, what has worked for you in terms of helping these symptoms?
Hi Kitty.
For the past twenty years I have learned to live with M.S.
The understanding that each person has different challenges is paramount within my limited experience with this condition.

Regarding the M.S. Hug may I share my experience with you.
The Hug is frightening.
For me it was extremely hard to breath.
It was painful in the center of my chest.
At one point I almost passed out due to the inability to breath effectually.
Once in Hospital after the normal heart scans had given me a "Heart as strong as an Ox" I was then informed that I had what I call a M.S. heart attack.
After this I experienced for the first time the M.S. Hug, which was in simple terms a reduced copy cat symptom of the M.S. heart attach.
With the M.s. hug I have pain with the reduced ability to breath effectively.

The M.S. Shortage of breath is different in my experience to the M.S. Hug.
With the M.S. Shortage of breath I find breathing becomes very shallow.
It tends to last about 30 minutes, after which normal breathing resumes for a while, then the shortage of breath starts all over again.
The M.S. shortage of breath tends to last longer in each eposode than the M.S. Hugs.

This has been my experience.
I understand that it may be different for each other M.S. person.
I trust that this will help in some way.

Best Regards
Mike
memikeinwales is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (02-21-2013), keepingfaith (02-19-2013), Kitty (02-18-2013), SallyC (02-18-2013), tkrik (02-19-2013)