View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I found out from a discussion thread on 23andme that my test data results indicated that I was "compound heterozygous" for the MTHFR mutation. I hoped this might explain some health issues & possibly treatment might help. But it quickly became obvious that the science is apparently not yet there to truly determine adequate levels of B12 or folate, nor how to treat if there actually is a deficiency. Just a lot of theories & opinions, some of dubious origin & validity. I got my B12, folate, & homocysteine levels tested & results showed more than adequate levels, but then the self-proclaimed experts claimed that didn't really mean anything. And it turns out that "treatment" with methylcobalamin & methyfolate can actually cause problems. Nearly impossible to find an MD who will recognize & treat. May be something to it, but scientific proof just not there yet, and it's not a condition supported by 23andMe research reports due to inadequate evidence. I gave up trying to figure out exactly what I should do, as nobody really seemed to know.
Peony is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (02-19-2013)