Thread: Help with MRI
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll try to help Billy:

There are degenerative changes in the disc spaces in the mid and lower thoracic areas. This means that the discs are "flattening" and the vertebra are getting closer together, and since it's degenerative, its going to get worse.

There is moderate to SEVERE disc space and facet joint degenerative changes at L2-3 and L3-4. The facets are the 'wing-like' structures on each side of the spinal cord. If you hunch your back, you can feel them & even see them. There are moderate degenerative changes on the rest of the lumbar disc spaces. This means that all of the lumbar discs are flattening and the vertebra are all getting closer together. There are prominent bone spurs in the mid and lower thoracic vertebra. At the right T2-T3, there is prominent diseased facet with mild encroachment of the right rear of the spinal canal. This means that the facet is pushing on the rear of the spinal canal.

At L1-2 There is a prominent disc bulge and moderate facet disease. There is moderate to severe central canal stenosis. This means that the central spinal canal is getting narrow. Mild right foraminal narrowing is seen at L2-3 -- the foramen are the holes that the nerves pass thru to get to the spinal cord. At L2-3, the holes are narrowing. I'm not sure what the "end plate" degenerative changes means. There is a moderate disc bulge along with a right paracentral disc herniation which has increased from previous exam. There is moderate bilateral facet disease. Moderate central canal stenosis & mild bilateral foraminal narrowing.

L4-5 Moderate disc bulging with broad based with left paracentral disc herniation. Prominent bilateral facet disease. Moderate to severe central canal stenosis (narrowing of the canal) and moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis (narrowing of the foramen)

L5-S1 Moderate disc bulging & facet disease. Moderate degenerative changes of the disc spaces. (Again, the discs are flattening & the vertebra are getting closer together)

From the "Impression" the radiologist says that most of the trouble is the "persistent" encroachment in the lumbar spine, causing spinal canal stenosis. Since this is degenerative, it's not going to get any better and will probably get worse. I would take my films and get an opinion from at LEAST 3 NEUROSURGEONS, and see what they think should be done. You want to stay as CONSERVATIVE as you possibly can. Do NOT jump into surgery, as that should be your LAST RESORT. Surgery will NOT relieve all your pain. Surgery is ONLY for mechanical problems. After surgery, you will still have pain, and sometimes worse than before surgery. So make sure you have at least 3 opinions before opting for surgery as once you do it, you can't "undo" it. I wish you the very best Billy and please let us know what you decide. God bless and take care. If you have any more questions, let us know. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote