View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, I am one of those with PD and Pernicious Anaemia. Both emerged after I started to feel unwell, but the PA came quite recently. It is B12 deficiency caused by lack of cells that produce intrinsic factor. At this point in time I do not know what is worse PD or PA. The latter certainly makes me incredibly tired, and the injections I get are not frequent enough. For those in the UK the PErnicious Anaemia Society has plenty of good information, as does B12.org. There is currently a petition going through the Scottish parliament to improve things for people with PA, but there is nothing like it south of the border.

I saw my neurologist a couple of weeks ago and he seemed completely ignorant about B12 issues, even though the damage it can do in the long term is neurological.

I have lots of issues relating to PA, and know that I am not getting the treatment that could improve things. When the injections do work not only do I feel a lot better, but from the ongoing tiredness and other symptoms that do not fluctuate like PD I am able to see my Parkinson symptoms much more clearly and observe those fluctuations easily. From this I am able to tell what PA is actually doing - and I can unequivocally say under treatment of PA can cause a lot of problems. It is yet another condition that health care workers seem to have little awareness of, in fact it is treated as though it is the equivalent of needing more vitamin C. It is not like that at all........

I'm going to watch the video and read over this stuff again and visit the link that MrsD posted, and maybe I will come back and respond again.

In the meantime if you do try and get tested for B12 make sure you are off any iron and folate supplements as they can make your bloods look more normal and give an incorrect reading.

Thank you, all the people who have posted on this.

Lindy
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote