View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Angry pigs and chicken now

Greetings,
Farmers are feedings this toxin to pigs and chickens now?!!!!
I'm disgusted. Tonight I bought tofu for hubby to cook with some organic chicken we had in the freezer.
I wish that I could feel good about our food supply and I wish I could feel that our gov (HA!) protects us.

A friend of mine told me that Talapia (the fish) is generally safe. He grows them to sell and knows about the industry. I'll buy talapia next time -- already tired of tofu.

Trying to feel good about things in our world.
M.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18405363/
Tainted poultry has entered food supply
Millions of chickens ate feed containing melamine, government officials say

NBC News and news services
Updated: 8:04 p.m. ET May 1, 2007
Quote:
WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Adminstration said Tuesday that as many as 3 million chickens that may have been given contaminated feed containing melamine have already been eaten by consumers, according to NBC News.

Although the chickens, which came from 38 poultry farms in Indiana, have already made their way into the food supply, there appears to be minimal or no health risk to humans, the government said.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01618.html

Joint News Release: FDA and USDA Determine Swine Fed Adulterated Product
April 26, 2007
Quote:
USDA to Compensate for Depopulation

The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today notified State authorities that swine fed adulterated product will not be approved to enter the food supply.

Based on information currently available, FDA and USDA believe the likelihood of illness after eating pork from swine fed the adulterated product would be very low; however, the agencies believe it is prudent to take this measure.

FDA determined that a shipment of rice protein imported from China was contaminated with melamine and melamine-related compounds.