View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
Thanks to all you guys for useful replies I didn't realize with bony/vein issues the surgery is more straightforward so thanks for that. As for the neuro thing I can't remember fully but think a nerve is involved since my left hand is numb. Actually when I was first diagnosed they thought it was carpel tunnel until investigating further.

After surgery and healing will I be right to do push-ups etc do you guys think?
It's not that the surgery is more straightforward or easier, it's that there is a clear diagnosis in those cases. You can *see* artery/vein involvement, you can't see nerve involvement. So people who just have NTOS could have one of many diagnoses and it's a matter of determining which one it really is. So some people with bad outcomes from NTOS surgery never actually had TOS at all. Also, if symptomology is from lack of free blood flow and you restore that blood flow, things are corrected almost immediately where nerve involvement=very slow healing and possible permanent damage. When you have a bony abnormality that is another thing you can see and recognize before going into surgery where other people the surgeons just guess that there must be an issue with something and just remove muscle, scar tissue, fibrous bands and whatever abnormal things they find in hopes it decompresses the area.
After healing from surgery, you will probably never want to do another push up. You'll have to be careful not to develop scar tissue in the area and I've been told by PT to never do anything even resembling a push up for the rest of my life. You'll find out what your particular restrictions are, but it's becoming apparent that I will not be able to bring in all the grocery bags at once, I won't be able to do overhead work and I won't be able to do other repetitive activities for any length of time. Others heal better- especially the ones without chronic pain issues. I don't say this to scare you! It could be different in your case, but know that TOS is a rough thing to have and there's likely certain restrictions you will always have to prevent it from reoccurring and to avoid pain.
LiveLoveandTrust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote