View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBomg View Post
I'd like to add a word of caution. I have no doubt that you do "prefer life as it currently is". However there is no guarantee that the situation will remain so rosy. My 1st and 2nd ribs are (were) fused, and your symptoms largely match what I experienced during the 1st year of discomfort related to TOS. Things got progressively worse for me from that point, until the surgical option seemed heaven-sent as it represented my last chance at restoring my arm to a degree that it would be able to perform even the most basic activities.

I'm just 2.5 weeks post-op so I cant add any details from personal experience (yet). But my surgeon was far more optimistic when describing the possible outcomes than a lot of the stories I've read on this site. Don't despair if that's what things come to. If you do opt out of surgery make sure not to ignore any additional symptoms that may develop over time.

-Ben
Thanks for your input Ben. What really annoys me is that both vascular surgeons I've consulted say that things will be fine and rosy again after surgery and like I'll easily be back to work within a few weeks etc etc. Even the doctor and the physio said the same thing. Then I come here and read the real-life accounts that some are in serious pain etc after 3 months and even 6, furthermore that in some cases normality is never restored and it puts me in a double mind, I would tend to believe the real accounts over the 'optimistic' surgeons who basically run a business where I'm their potential customer.

Further weighing on my mind is the size of the fused ribs - that will require a fair bit of cutting and gap to get access and get them out, surely that has to present bigger scar tissue problems and complications as well.

How about you Ben did they need to cut away a lot more given it was 2 ribs and how do you feel right now? What did they advise you to do about the scar tissue??
Taki is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote