View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Hi all,

Thought I'd share my story with you all because it took me a long time to decide to have surgery for my condition. I am a 32 y/o healthy and active female who had been working in public health and medical research consulting for the past 8 years. I am now 4 weeks post op for venous and neurogenic TOS - I had a 1st rib removal and anterior scalenectomy. My symptoms started 16 months ago with progressive tingling, numbness and weakness in my left hand. A little over a year ago my left arm swelled suddenly to a point where I went to the ER and was diagnosed with an upper extremity DVT and 2 PE's. After hospitalization for clot and PE's and 6 months of warafin and multiple consultations with every kind of dr. I started to learn about TOS. Initally I thought my arm pain was because of the clot and now I realize that the clot was caused by the TOS - the venogram I had was the most telling and conclusive test - I could literally see how the blood flow stopped when my arm was abducted away from my body. I resisted surgery (even after the venogram) b/c of the lack of conclusive medical evidence that surgical intervention would improve my condition and not exacerbate or contribute to long term biomechanical and structual changes in my body-- I consulted with 5 different thoracic/vascualr surgeons -- ultimately I decided on surgery bc of the risk of another DVT. A DVT can kill you - especially with the associated risk of PE's. I am very glad that I chose the surgeon I did - Dr. Dean Donahue at MGH - I had consulted with drs at Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, Cleveland Clinic, Kansas, and Suburban. Each had a different diagnosis, surgical protocol (some suggested a stent!!! can you imagine?) etc. My surgery lasted just under 5 hours and after 7 days int he hospital I am recovering well at home with almost full range of motion in my shoulder and arm. I would be happy to talk to anyone with venous TOS who is considering surgery - I was scared to do it but am really really glad I did.

I have had two neurogenic operations on the same arm and am now showing signs of venous tos... my hand is turning purple and my arm turns blue while in the shower along with nerve pain and tingling. I go to the doctor next week but was just wondering if you had any advice as I see you've talked to many doctors of your condition.Thanks.
zoey07 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote