View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey IHH

I already PM'd but thought I'd add something here.

I went from forearm crutches to arthritis forearm (elbow) crutches to gutter crutches to gutter frame to NHS wheelchair to Sports wheelchair to Electric singing and dancing wheelchair.

Forearm crutches are much easier to use (elbow crutches) than the axilla crutches the US likes - there is less chance of nerve damage through their use (although elbow crutches can damage the palm of your hand). I used arthritis crutches until my legs died. They are better as they have thicker, softer, moulded handles and are lighter and just generally better for you. The moulding decreases the amount of pressure on the palm etc. You can use elbow/ forearm crutches individually (for balance/ low support of leg) to ski poling (balance with small amount of support) to drag pole (erm... this isn't really " correct" but when my legs first died I used to be able to drag my feet and legs behind me though using my thoracic vertebrae to swing them forwads. (Basically had the crutches higher than supposed to so that I could drag my legs behind me - HOWEVER - this does really dmage your arms and is v hard with RSD in the arms).

With gutter crutches you put the weight through the flat of the forearms (like standing and resting your arms flat out from the elbow on a desk). These are good because the weight is being taken over a wider area so destroys your arms less. However, I found them really hard to walk with.

K frame - this is apparently good but I was never able to use one - this is a kids version but I can find you the adult if you are interested.
http://www.adaptivemall.com/walkers.html

it's a gait trainer as well which means it will help you stay in an optimum position like standing straight etc.

Gutter frame - really annoying - kicked it out from underneath me too many times. Same as walking frames

Wheelchairs.................... too complex to explain here.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
frogga is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote