View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
First of all big thankyou to all the replies they are all very helpful in different ways. Mainly addressing Blurto's post - yes it is Dr Mark @ Greenslopes and he said to go in from above but he might need to go in from the armpit as well.

I've been for heaps of tests, 3 ultrasounds, CT Angiogram, Xrays and MRI. The MRI actually showed nothing but that was because my shoulder was slightly forwards in the tunnel thus switching the TOS 'off'. I was wrong in my post earlier and after checking the scans it's the subclavien artery that occludes not the vein, the vein has done something odd and grew around the problem?? Don't ask me to explain the technicalities, the ultrasound lady seemed astonished and kept saying that it had somehow 'morphed' (is that the right word anyways XD) and isn't in the place where it's meant to be. I couldn't understand what she was on about tbh.

All the other tests especially the Angiogram show the 1st and 2nd ribs fused with a bony mass type connection thus pinching the artery when the shoulder comes forward. I'm about 80% to put this op off and see how things go but of course I'll be on the look out for anything that might eventuate away from the usual symptoms that i'm now completely accustomed to.
Don't delay Taki, it seems that you've had a good selection of imaging for your surgeon to look at, don't be distressed over the MRI, apart from the cost... ...they dont show nerves or vascular structure and definitely don't move, my surgeon prefers venography for blockages and uses MRI to identify bone and related defects. Google Venography images to see the results you can get.

Your ultrasound lady was trying to explain that because of the blockage, your body made other arrangements to keep the blood flowing and these other arrangements are still working for you. I love it when they don't know the right words to use for the patient to understand.

I wonder though, that if your problem is when your shoulder moves, potentially you could reach a solution with grinding the bone away at the narrowing, without having to remove a section or two, unless the two ribs are fused in that region. We'll be interested to see how you go with your upcoming adventure, so keep in touch.

Also, I posted a copy of my latest ct scan to my profile Album today, nothing flattering (not smiling at all) but you can see the result of my surgeons work.
Blurto is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Taki (02-24-2013)